Mar 26, 2011

My Favorite Asian Grocery

This is my "go to" store for all things Asian.  The first time I went in I was searching for fresh lemongrass, found it and discovered that there was a bakery on the premises that made  both roasted pork and sweet bean bows not to mention coconut pie.  I've come to know the place pretty well by now and go there nearly every week as it's the best place for super fresh inexpensive fruit and veggies and they have so many different kinds of frozen dumplings and dim sum to choose from it's staggering.  I still don't know what half of the items are as many of them have no English labels.  Sometimes I can kind of tell what something might be but not whether it is mind numbingly hot tasting or not!  Drop by our place in Bayside and if you like, I'll take you on a tour of the store.



Lots and lots of greens





Dried Fungi






Jelly Anyone?





Garlic




Everything but the Squeal




Seafood




The duck I was telling Paul about...
thirty four in each layer





These cookies must be very good!




Shellfish




Sauces and Dips




Black Chicken... go figure




Would anyone like a little egg for breakfast?




Fish Counter




Many, many dried mushrooms




Big Foot and Razor Clams




What am I?






3 comments:

J. Evan Kreider said...

Fantastic tour of a gem of a store. Didn't know one could see a snort; how wrong can a guy get? I burst out laughing at some of the items. A great place to shop, obviously.

Paul Kreider said...

I found it a sensory overload to visit this market! When there, I enjoyed noticing that the porgies they had for sale were about the same size as the two Mark, Bruce and I brought home for lunch after a blustery morning on the choppy Peconic Bay.

Red Ana Nemesis said...

Dragon fruit.