Dec 8, 2010

Yes . . . we can

The west-coast response to Uncle Mark's wonderful preserving this fall . . . Vivian and Stephen have been busy freezing and canning.  Here we see pickles, which everybody enjoys who comes to one of their meals.  Beans and various veggie broths, etc. make up the rest.


The large crock on the lower right is for making sauerkraut, one of Vivian's favourite treats.  We gave them our shredder (after throwing away two spoiled batches) and another crock.  But this special crock has a lid with a seal which lets the fermenting gases escape without introducing foreign bacteria (which is where my method went astray).



 The lovely shelves were made by me (Evan) in Vancouver in October 1975 from teak or cedar (?) crating some foreign students had abandoned in the basement where we were renting (UBC married housing).  We had just moved here, Janice was Very pregnant and we needed some more shelves for supplies for the coming baby (Aaron).  I made the shelves rather crudely but sanded them, and Janice varnished the shelves.  That afternoon, Aaron was born.

2 comments:

Mark Kreider said...

The preserved foods look tantalizing! The colors and textures make for very appealing photos. I threatened to do some canning this year, actually looking at canning equipment, then didn't. This post has put me over the edge. I WILL can next season! Very nice woodworking and finish (it's cedar and will likely last forever storing food for future generations).

I'd be grateful for Steve's pickling recipe. I know he doesn't use recipes but perhaps he could make one up for me :-)

Paul Kreider said...

We've enjoyed those pickles at Vivian and Steve's as part of a selection of delightful hors d'oeuvures. It's nice to see your shelf unit has an important place and has lasted more than a third of a century!