Oct 14, 2010

New pocket camera for daily activities

I finally got a small pocket camera (Canon S95) which I try to have in my pocket before leaving the house.  I have wanted to carry something light for years but . . . .  I took the plunge a week ago Friday and am enjoying using it casually.  This is the first picture I took, something quiet, our (unusually clean) dining room table at night.  Our furniture was designed for a rather more grand home, so we cannot center the table with the ceiling lamp I made (close enough, eh?)

Another evening, the dining room table set for Sunday breakfast, my booklet of prayers and readings for Canadian Thanksgiving is ready to be reviewed during breakfast (I designed and was in charge of the service).

One of my dreams was to have a pocket camera with me whenever I golf.  Not all moments have that certain magic, believe me, but some of our early morning fog scenes can be beautiful.  Finding errant white golf balls in this heavy dew can be difficult.

This is the second fairway at the University Golf Course (which, strangely enough, is neither owned nor operated by the University).  It is difficult to see from the tee box, but the mist rising on the left is coming from a pond, the lowest point on the course.  Long ago, I lost track of the number of balls I have contributed to this stupid pond, sadly, some were on my second shot.  Because of its length, this par 4 is the hardest hole on the course.

I'm into food, particularly when prepared by someone else.  This shows my sandwich last Sunday noon at a small restaurant near church.  We were with three church friends.  The sandwich was so large that I saved half of it for golf on Monday.  Janice, being far more astute on such matters, wisely selected a salad.

We remodeled  the kitchen about 18 (?) years ago.  These south-facing windows give us pleasure every single day we are in Vancouver.  The faucet looks innocent enough, but it required three trips to the store before I could figure out how to install it.  The first time, I inserted an internal washer backwards and nobody could extract the plug, so I had to get a second new faucet.  Being German made, it carried a lifetime guarantee, which the store ever so kindly honoured, even when I had made the mistake.  Three cheers for Groehe!

My favourite photography teacher advised me to get some of my things printed and hang them, so that I would be forced to face my work daily (rather than fleetingly on a screen) and determine what needs to be improved and what seems to have lasting value.  Being lazy, I just prop them up against the wall.  Seems to work, and Janice thankfully decided decades ago that one does not stay married by nagging.


This is the saddest picture I hope I will be taking for some time to come.  These three sorry specimens represent our Entire Apple Crop this year--two tree's worth.  In the good ol' days, we used to freeze enough applesauce to satisfy a family of four for two meals weekly, plus have apples daily for four packed lunches for perhaps three months.  This year, even the sole large apple was hopelessly tart, but we decided to pick it before the squirrels or blue jays started to feast on it. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Evan. Your little camera takes very good pictures! Keep sending us pictures. I especially like the picture of janice at that restaurant! Judy Davis, Indiana

Mark Kreider said...

Great shots... I think you won't need to carry the big one around as much. This camera gives you versatility such as on the golf course and the quality is fantastic. I too like the photo of Janice very much.