Grandma gets around beautifully in her power wheelchair, negotiating the hallways nicely. The chair is so obviously crucial if she is to visit Grandpa or go beyond the dining hall in her unit.




On Sunday morning, we met in Grandpa's room for church, which was being broadcast on Grandpa's new HD TV, a little birthday present from "We Five Brothers". We were pleased to see that he could operate it, listen to some football, and of course church.


Paul found the sermon particularly fascinating that morning.

The six of us visitors enjoyed a Sunday morning breakfast together in Dan and Anne's beautiful home. They were doing volunteer work in Woodstock, India but very graciously let us use their home in their absence. Since the brothers enjoy cooking together, this was a treat.







I believe this competitive game took place Thursday evening in Grandma' suite.

The worst draw possible:
3 comments:
So...what might have been going on in brother Paul's mind in photo number 7? A few possibilities:
"If I tied a sheet together...."
"It can't be more than four feet down...how bad could a fall be?"
"I'm so disgusted...one just can't get sermons like this in Ohio."
As always... you're slaying me
Bruce! :-)
Evan, this is a wonderful series of pictures. We all are what we are and you've shown us in a good light. I remember how nice it was that Dad was able to join us for dinner. It was family. I spent an hour with Dad the night before his fall. He'd made perfect sense if I waited now and then for him to gather his thoughts. That might have been the last time before this recent down-turn where we were able to communicate. I'm so glad that Bruce and Kris made the trip earlier so that Kris could say goodbye (if it should come to that). I'm so proud of Kris risking the trip to hold and stroke Dad's hand, and talk to him for a long time to give him a comfort that was her's alone to give.
I hope that you'll let Dan and Anne look at your photos of us in their home. It was such a wonderful place to regroup, talk over the serious stuff, and truly enjoy each other's company in such a warm welcoming environment. Thank you Anne, thank you Dan.
I, too, recall Kristin's long time with Dad, holding and stroking his hand. Dad was simply basking in her attention during that hour. I believe there was a golden color above her and Bruce's heads at the moment that I walked in, which may in fact have been a halo.
Regarding Bruce's thoughts on picture frame No. 7: My memory is a bit fuzzy on what I was thinking at that moment. Piecing things together, though, I see I was looking in the direction of a Chinese-made bird house procured by Mark and Bruce at Wal-Mart to hang on the tree outside Dad's window. Perhaps the pastor's sermon had made a reference to St. Matthew, which in turn may have recalled to me the sparrows made famous in that same gospel. In turn, I would have checked to see if those sparrows might be claiming the bird house as their home. I know it was a matter of keen interest to Dad and it's the only explanation I can think of.
Evan, these are great pictures! Thanks so much for inserting them. I only wish you had been included in them as well. It was a reminder of how much it meant to all of us to be together in the warmth of a real home that weekend. Thank you Anne and Dan! --Paul
Post a Comment