Jun 12, 2009

A visit to Jackson to see Frank and Lori and family

Last Sunday we were able to drive to Jackson to visit Frank, Lori and Nick for the afternoon and early evening. We were really glad that we could also see Michael, Michelle and their daughters, Katelyn (Katie) and Elizabeth (Lizzy). Here are a few pictures from that afternoon. If you haven't seen the children for a year or more, you will see they certainly have grown.

I always look forward to seeing what Lori has done this season with her living room. It is a good place to begin our conversation each visit. Janice liked the touches of summery green in this room.

Grandpa (Frank) and Katie.

Michael was enjoying a rare day off work.
The girls certainly get along well, and I was struck by how Katelyn is so helpful to her sister Lizzy, watching her on stairs, entertaining her, etc. Her red hair is eye-catching.

I liked Lizzy's matter-of-fact pensive attitude. She was an excellent model.

I shot this while Mike was on the back deck, chatting with Nick, who was grilling NY strip steaks (I may have the wrong name . . . I never see cuts this fancy at home). Mike has been kept busy at work with many hectic orders coming in recently. He has been overseeing shipping (orders received, orders sent) for a large plant. He and Michelle now live in Jackson, not far from Frank and Lori.

This shows Nick quietly biding his time until he was given the signal to fire up the grill on the back deck. I saw his (?) golf clubs at the front entry and wished I had gone to Jackson about five hours earlier, but it was out of the question.

The Grillmeister at work. Need I add that the steaks were done 'to perfection'? His uncles, known for honing their skills in grilling for decades, would have been proud. I was simply thankful. Nick indicated he was looking forward to good leftovers this week.
The TV room was originally a screened-in porch that is now comfortably winterized.

I should have started with the front entryway and hallway, but didn't.

The kitchen has the theme of red running through much of the china Lori has collected over the years.

We always look forward to our annual visits, or as close to annual as we can make them. Our poor GPS went berserk when we ran into a long parade which cut us off from our destination, but we finally made it by following some irritated locals who seemed to know useful shortcuts. If I remember correctly, Forbes reported that Jackson is the worst-hit town in the US this recession. Fortunately, the Mom-n-Pop store seems to continue keeping its head above water (knock on wood).

1 comment:

Mark Kreider said...

Such a warm and welcoming home and family.