Jan 30, 2009

Remaking the Door Frames

The compound joints I attempted was a phenomenal waste of time though I did learn something from it.  KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid!  The experience did make my relationship with the table saw more intimate.  I keep thinking how much I could have learned if I'd spent a few days with Kay's Dad in his shop.  A lifetime opportunity missed.

I decided to go with lap joints, a very straight forward and strong joint, glued, then pinned with a dowel.  The wood is 5/4" thick (hardwood measure) so the structure should be very solid.  After cutting the horizontals to equal lengths I lined them up and taped them together four at a time so as to mass produce them and make them as near identical as possible.  I practiced with a waste piece of wood until the saw blade was exactly half the height of the lumber so that when one lap lay upon another it would equal an original piece.  That took some time, but when you've got it, you've got it and all the wood can be cut to fit.  Starting at the end of the wood I made a cut, moved the wood one blade width (the kerf) cut again and repeated 20 or so times until I had the length of lap needed.

No comments: